- The Indian Whistlers’ Association (IWA), founded on Sept. 19th, 2004 by Mr. Rigveda Deshpandey (The Maverick Whistler), is the World’s first truly Indian and the largest whistling fraternity. It is India’s 1st and only school, dedicated to promoting Musical Whistling as a performing art and has done more than 300 shows all over India since 2004. We have many awards and accolades to our credit as well, which include a Limca Record of 48 whistlers, whistling simultaneously, a colorful victory at the World Whistlers Convention 2016, Japan and at the International Whistling Convention 2010, China. In addition, one of our whistlers has even made an 18hr marathon solo whistling record in 2014.
- Proud to have whistling members-both male and female, from the age group of 10 years to 70 years from all walks of life.
- Our whistlers are capable of whistling not just film songs but also classical (Western & Indian), devotional, patriotic and other diverse range of compositions.
- IWA shows have provided a unique and unforgettable experience to its audiences all over India.
- Add uniqueness to your event/show
- Liven-up School, College Annual functions/festivals
- Promoting No-smoking
- Performing shows for charity and fund-raising
- Organize shows for Corporate, Defence Sector, Award Nights, etc.
- India’s 1st and Only school dedicated to teaching Musical Whistling as an art.
- To find, meet and bring together, whistlers from all over India, onto a single platform,
- To change the perception of whistling in India, get it recognition as a “Performing Art” and its members as artists.
- To make musical whistling a recognized performing art.
- Social obligations: Charity, NO-SMOKING Campaigns, Entertainment for Special Homes for Aged, Widows, Orphanages & Physically Challenged
- To host a Whistling Reality Show in India
- To host an International Whistling Festival in India.
- To enter the Guinness Book of Records as “Most People Whistling” with 1000+ Whistlers & “Longest Whistling Relay” in Nov, 2017.
- Reached finals of “Entertainment Ke Liye Kuchh Bhi Karega” on Sony Channel, June, 2009
- Entered LIMCA Book of Records in 2009.
- Participated and won at International Whistling Convention- China in May 2010.
- Conducted workshops at Mood Indigo Festival-IIT, Mumbai in 2007 & 2013.
- Participated and won 3 -1st prizes at World Whistlers Convention- Japan in July 2016.
FOUNDER & PRESIDENT
MR. RIGVEDA DESHPANDEY (MUMBAI)
Rigveda Deshpandey is a multi-talented personality. He has been whistling musically since the age of 6 looking up to his dad and founded the Indian Whistlers’ Association at a young age of 18 with a utopic dream of changing the ‘taboo’ perception of musical whistling in India and spreading it as a serious performing art among the people of India.
His mother Meeinal is his biggest support and critique and Rigveda believes that this art specially needs an extraordinary amount of family support to hone and prosper. He aims to bring out all the “bathroom whistlers” on to the stage.
He loves teaching Sound Engineering and sharing his industry experiences with students, making concepts very simple to understand and involving them in his projects for hands on experience. He is now teaching at a couple of private colleges in Mumbai. He is a budding filmmaker and has co-produced, co-directed, co-written, co-edited a short film “The Final Full Stop” on the increasing problem of suicides and how to address the issue, which has been submitted to international film festivals.
He is currently writing a couple of more short films and documentaries and produces IWA’s all audio visual content and live shows. He also shot a documentary called “Curry Whistling in Sushi Country” at Japan on their participation and it is currently on the editing table.
His pioneering work has been a Whistling Syllabus-first and only one of its kind in India and he teaches from the basics- “Man is the instrument” and all about the anatomy and origins of whistling to how one should prepare to perform at international platforms.
It was under his leadership and vision that Indian Whistlers’ Association made a Limca Book Record of 48 whistlers whistling “Saare Jahan Se Achha” together at one place in July 2008 (published in 2009), a 4 member team competed at the International Whistling Convention, 2010 China doing a skit called “Bollywood Love Story” along with whistling and won the 3rd prize. First for anyone from India. And a 8 member team traveled to World Whistlers Convention, 2016 Japan and won 3 -1st prizes and became World Champions. Also for the first time in the world he attempted Salsa dance and whistling with his partner Dr. Farzana Lakdavala.
MR. RAJESH GAIKWAD
Rajesh Gaikwad hails from the city of dreams- Mumbai and is a Health Care Professional. He started whistling at a very young of 6 and has inherited the talent from his father. His father and he often communicate through whistling. This uniqueness of communication via whistling is termed as Silbo.*
Rajesh is an avid Bollywood buff and he loves hitting the road on his RE Bullet motorcycle and whistling through his ride.
A passionate sports person, he plays club cricket and pool in championships. But whether it’s riding his Bullet, playing cricket or just sitting idle, his whistling never seizes to stop.
Silbo – Silbo Gomero (Spanish) is a whistled version of Spanish used by the inhabitants of La Gomera in the Canary Islands to communicate across the deep ravines and narrow valleys.
MR. VIJAY AWARI
Vijay Awari is a science graduate from Mumbai University and works for Rashtriya Chemicals & Fertilizers Ltd. (RCF) as an Asst. Engg (Production). He has been whistling since he was in school. Whistling is a passion for him. He joined IWA in 2015 and wishes to take IWA to the topmost level in world of whistling.
He is usually softspoken with a calm demeanour but whistling excites him and is a moral compass and backbone of support for IWA and believes in working while keeping a low profile.
MRS. APARNA NAIK
Aparna Naik is a housewife with an unusual obsession ….whistling!! She is crazy about whistling and happy to be a part of the IWA. She is lucky to be one of those with a very very supportive family. Loves dogs, books and music passionately. She is a person who believes in calling a spade for what it is and is a moral compass and backbone of support for IWA.
Cpt. Chetan Bapat (Thane)
Chetan Bapat is from Thane, Maharashtra and a sailor by profession. He is sailing as Master (Captain) with Seaspan Ship Management Ltd, a Canadian based company.
Chetan always had affinity for music but due to his profession was unable to pursue music as a career. But music comes back, once you have an ear for it, can be said about him, as he started learning Hindustani classical after 40 years and has already completed Level 3 in Hindustani classical music for keyboard and Level 5 Trinity piano exams in Western music and even at a young age of 45, has the zest to complete all the exams in Hindustani and Western music. He also sings and has won several accolades in school and college for singing in stage shows.
Chetan is a ‘blow in / out’ and palatal whistler and has been whistling since an early age of 3. His first brush with whistling was with the title track in Hindi film ‘Sholay’, which he picked up and took to whistling. He has been whistling ever since changing styles, as per the requirement of the song.
He has been a member of IWA since September 2006 and has been actively involved with IWA activities, whenever he is on shore.
Mr. Sheldon D’Souza (Mumbai)
Sheldon D’Souza is a whistler, self-trained beatboxer and copywriter at a leading international ad agency. He loves the vibe of performing on stage. As a performer, his uniqueness lies in his mouth trumpet and fast paced beats that resemble drum beats and percussion all without the actual instruments.
He’s the founder of a music band-Wood String Beats. He’s performed at numerous college shows, studios, etc. He’s performed live on RJ Anita’s weekend brunch show and has appeared in Mumbai Mirror.
Mr. Dhaval Thakkar (Thane)
Dhaval Thakkar is born and brought up in Mumbai and works for Deloitte. Dhaval started whistling when he was in school at around 12 years of age, but wasn’t much appreciated by his father for the same. He still continued this unique hobby and was able to nurture it further and improve it post coming in contact with IWA.
Mr. Shailendra Apte (Pune)
Shailendra Apte is a Mechanical Engineer and a Supply Chain Specialist by profession. He is very passionate about music and likes singing, but whistling is what he loves most. He feels very happy and relaxed when he whistles as it helps him forget all tensions and worries. He has been whistling since many years for himself and is now learning the art of presenting it for others to make them happy.
Mr. Abhijit Katake (Pune)
Abhijit Katake is a management professional and works for a group in Singapore. He started whistling at age of 15. He used to listen to his father whistling Dev Anand songs. The same passion continued further and got appreciated when he used to whistle “Are re are yeh kya hua” in his hostel lobby. After whistling for a long time as hobby and even performing couple of songs in family functions, he decided to attain greater heights in this hobby and joined IWA in 2016.
Dr. Vrinda B. Nair (Chennai)
Dr. Vrinda B. Nair is an ENT Surgeon from Kerala, currently residing at Chennai. Around the age of 7, she was introduced to the world of whistling by her uncle. Ever since, with parental support and a great spirit, she persevered and trained herself to whistle any piece of music that she heard. While in medical school, her bestie Dr.Ann, a good singer herself, trained her to ‘listen’ to music’, polished her skills and encouraged her to participate in intercollegiate whistling competitions. It was her husband who then insisted that she join the IWA. She says, ‘joining this fraternity, was like meeting fellow ‘mutants’ (lol) and it was a great feeling to acquaint with people who took the art so seriously and to know that there are sooo many too..!’